Thursday, September 18, 2008

360 save data makes me cry so many tears

So I have an xbox 360.

I also have a copy of Viva Pinata 2: Trouble in Paradise.

I also have a removable memory unit, which I made the mistake of making save data on.

When I made a garden, In the aforemantioned game, and saved it on the aforementioned memory unit. Unfortunately, the game is sort of buggy (not a huge shocker: in the first the first game, I had INVISIBLE CAT CREATURES which I found endlessly amusing).

Most recently, when when I tried to fire one of my migrant Security Guards (yes, you can hire those in this game, for the 99.97% of people that do not play this game) he decided (for some reason) to hang around, and was basically taking up space. I could not select him to pay and/or fire him, So I decided to ignore him. At some point he just because a DECORATION.

I dug a pond around him and planted flowers, thinking (at the time) that it would be extremely funny when I invited people to the garden for multiplayer sessions.

Eventually I realised that I had things I needed to achieve, and having random fixtures (i.e, dudes) in the garden was keeping me from actually getting anything done. In fact, he actually kept me from romancing pinatas a few times. (This is a bad thing.)

I have three different garden saves (which chronicle all of the money I have made, and pinatas I have collected) on the hard drive, so I got a bright idea that deleting the save data on the memory unit and starting a new game in the same place would fix my problem.

I logged out of the game and went to the 'system' tab and deleted the data on my memory unit (VERY clever, I thought). Unfortunately after I deleted the save data, the VP:TIP save data was no longer accessible in the main menu. I went out of the game, into the dashboard and decided to check that the data on the hard drive hadn't mysteriously dissappeared.

As I expected, there was nothing on the memory unit, but the same three saves were still on the hard drive. Calling shennannigans and spouting curse words, I rebooted the 360 in hopes that it would understand the error of its ways.

It didn't.

At this point I was very nearly in tears. (And just admitting that makes me feel like a retard, but please read on.)

Losing save data on 360s is sort of a running theme with me- it happened once when my first hard drive died (losing me 120+ hours of gameplay on Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, and several hours (lots more 120,) on the first Viva Pinata. It happened again when I moved in with my boyfriend, and tried to free up some space on my hard drive. Similar amounts of data were lost. (which now that I think of it was probably a whole lot more.)

After a call to Microsoft Xbox support (I made Dave call because I was too frustrated to form actual sentences,) it became blatantly obvious that I was never going to get my save data back, even though it is still there. Taunting me.

I cannot believe I keep putting up with this abuse.

I must be a masochist.

6 comments:

The Green Bandit said...

So when I finally break down and buy a next generation console, you're recommending I not buy the 360?

Ashley said...

I'm not saying that at all. To be completely truthful, I have all three of the current gen consoles, and I get the most use out of my 360.

Just don't delete any save data that you /really/ want intact.

The Horns and the Hawk said...

what ees dess dat you call? a blog?

when this popped up in my rss reader, i thought, "things and some other things? yeah right! what kind of crap is this?" turns out it's a blog.

my 10bo10 tree siggidy gave me red ring once. since then, it's been dedicated and loyal.

Ashley said...

Thank you Ken its fixed now. I was drunk and sad when I made that post. Go figure.

Unknown said...

And frustrated by tech support Hell, no doubt.

But you avoided my question: what did you think of PAX?

Ashley said...

It was great. I played a lot of rock band.

I hung out with cool people.

I had a good time overall, and plan to go back next year.